Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tizzz the season~


Tizz the day to be joyful for the incredible influence that Waymon Tisdale spread to all who were lucky enough to be a part of his life.

I was fortunate enough to be assigned by the Tulsa World to cover the Booker T. Washington Hornets basketball game in Waymon's sophomore season. It may have been his first game. He was featured in the story because the (then) scronny, 6' 4" sophomore notched 26 points with a feathery touch on his short mid-range jumpers, snatched 12 rebounds, and blocked 6 shots,,,, all while that [later to be famous!] patented, wide, infectious smile permeated the high school gymnasium, and the spectators from both teams.

When I was assigned a HORNET game the next season, my excitement turned to dismay as I watched the Hornets go through their pregame layup drills.

"Where was the tall skinny kid?" I wondered, so upset that he wasn't present.

As I watched the two lines cycle through their layups again, my jaw dropped when I saw that familiar big, genuine and infectious smile running right at me.
"Thank God!"  He was present. Waymon was in the house! I WOULD see him play again!
I still could not believe my eyes though, because the sleek, SKINNY armed sophomore was history. Waymon had become a MAN. His little chest had ballooned out; his arms had the definition of someone who today would be accused of using illegal steroids. Whether he did the Herschel Walker program of pushups and situps, or got in the weight room, the junior version of Waymon was an amazing physical upgrade.
My first thought was that he was TOO muscular to have kept that feathery, smooth, delicate jumper. After all, basketball players can't look like that and still shoot accurately. Wasn't that the message of those days?
But it didn't phase Tiz as he continued to fire that perfect rotation, soft jumper that regularly ripped the nets,,,,,and as history has shown, the strength only made Waymon the beast that he was to become when he moved up to the next level and play for Billy Tubbs in Soonerland.

Although I didn't have the priviledge of getting to know Waymon as I followed every turn around jumper of his OU and NBA career, I feel very fortunate to have become close with his brother William and his son, William jr.
When my son brought William Jr. home with him the first time, it was as if I was finally getting to know Waymon, his uncle, in a round about way; the nephew also had that great smile; an incredible presence; polite without the Eddie Haskell factor, and a true enjoyment of life was evident. William jr, and his mom Shari and dad are true gems and warm, incredibly wonderful people.  They undoubtedly will continue spreading the Tisdale charm and love of life that their family is known for.

All of Tulsa will miss Waymon; the NBA world~ the music world~ and the Tulsa World.
Thank god that the Tisdale factor will continue to enlighten our world for many years to come.

Rest in peace Waymon.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home